DAWSONVILLE, Ga. — Dawson County Commissioners will vote Thursday on a proposal brought to the Board by Chairman Billy Thurmond that would limit commission meetings to just two days a week when they meet Thursday at 6 p.m. in the County Government Building.
In the past Dawson County commissioners have held meetings four times a month with work sessions and voting meetings held on alternate Thursdays. Work sessions are held for the purpose of discussing issues that will be voted on the next week. That has led to some voting sessions lasting less than 15 minutes.
Thurmond said rather than bring staff and citizens together for two very short voting meetings each month, it would be more efficient to hold work sessions and voting meetings on the same night.
If approved, future work sessions will be held at 4 p.m. followed by an executive session at 5 p.m. if necessary and a voting meeting at 6 p.m.
Thurmond said he proposed the change, “In an effort to make meetings more efficient and more productive.”
Commissioners will also vote Thursday on the hiring of an Alcohol Licensing Administrator at a pay range between $17 and $26.35 per hour. The position is currently frozen.
Other issues to be voted on Thursday include:
- The hiring of Ross and Associates to conduct the land use resolution update the Board requested at a cost of $8,100;
- A request by the 4H Rabies Clinic to hold the 5th annual parade and assembly on April 27;
- Creation of a general fund contingency of $100,000 to be added to the 2019 budget.;
- A request from MLH Farm/Uncle Shucks to hold a corn maze, sunflower maze and possibly a Christmas tree sale at their new location;
- A request to surplus/demolish the Transfer Station weigh station modular office;
- A presentation of the 2019 Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (SPLOST) VI;
- A three-party agreement between Dawson County, City of Dawsonville and Dawson County Humane Society on animal control;
- A new pay schedule for Constitutional Officers;
- An appointment to the Tax Assessors Board.
Fetch Your News is a hyper local news outlet that covers Dawson, Lumpkin, White, Fannin, Gilmer, Pickens, Union, Towns and Murray counties as well as Cherokee County in N.C. FYN attracts 300,000+ page views per month, 3.5 million impressions per month and approximately 15,000 viewers per week on FYNTV.com and up to 60,000 Facebook page reach. If you would like to follow up-to-date local events in any of those counties, please visit us at FetchYourNews.com