DAWSON COUNTY, Ga. – Development Authority of Dawson County (DADC) Chairman Tony Passarello gave the Board of Commissioners an update on the Authorities work on behalf of the citizen during Thursday’s voting session.
DADC recently elected new members to the Executive Board, including Mandy Powers, the new Chairman of the Dawson County Chamber of Commerce.
Passarello said county unemployment fell from a high of 11.7 percent last spring to 3.6 percent today. With regard to workforce development, Passarello said, “I would like to report great success there. He cited the Authority’s work with Lanier Tech and the University of North Georgia that enabled the awarding of a three-year startup grant worth $20,000. It’s a way for us to integrate some of their students into our economic development,” he said.
“We also continue to have a lot of interest in participating in areas of office-to-the-front, distribution to the rear type of businesses,” he said. “Right now, we just lack the capacity for them to go into the time frame they need.”
He also pointed out there are some companies interested in relocating from Forsyth County and several existing Dawson County facilities that are looking for additional space.
In other business, commissioners approved:
- An alcohol license for Akshar Priya, LLC doing business as Bo’s Food Mart;
- A modification to the employee handbook that will allow a limit of 20 hours buyback of paid time off;
- Acceptance of a Georgia Child Passenger Safety Mini-Grant’
- A change order to the Rock Creek Park berm construction project;
- Acceptance of the Harry Sosebee Road Right-of-Way and Development Agreement;
- The Green Infrastructure and Low Impact Development Program;
- A 2 percent supplement to salaries for elected official salaries;
- Elected Emory Dooley as Board of Commissioners Vice Chair for 2021;
- Tabled consideration of Study Concerning Cost of Services by Land Use Type;
- A revised resolution requesting the Calling of a Special Election to Impose a County One Percent Special Purpose Local Option Sales and Use Tax.