DAWSON COUNTY, Ga. – The Board of Commissioners is expected to hold a final public hearing and approve a FY 2021 budget of $30,645,860 during the Thursday (Dec. 3) voting session immediately following the 4 p.m. work session.
The proposed budget is 2.12 percent less than last year’s budget and will conform to a reduction in the millage rate from 8.088 to 7.885. Commissioners anticipate using $1,926,355 from the fund balance. Property taxes will produce 40 percent of the revenue and the local option sales tax will generate 20 percent.
The largest expenditure for 2021 is expected to be the Sheriff’s Office budget of $8,478,523 followed by Public Safety at $5,995,561. The county will hire six new firefighters for Fire Station 8.
During the voting session, commissioners will also consider:
- A request by Arquim Velasquez to rezone TMP L15-116-009 from RA (Residential Agriculture) to CHI (Commercial Highway Intensive) for the purpose of opening a landscape supply business (Highway 53 East). (Tabled from the November 19, 2020, Voting Session, at which time a public hearing was held);
- Awarding a Stand-By Road Striping contract;
- Moving forward with Public Hearings for Residential Planned Community Zoning District Road Maintenance.
During the 4 p.m. work session, commissioners will consider:
- A request for approval of FY 2021 State Public Defender Contract;
- A request for approval of FY 2021 Public Defender intergovernmental agreement between Dawson and Hall Counties;
- A request to purchase a ladder truck for the Fire Department;
- A request for approval of the 2021 Local Maintenance & Improvement Grant application;
- Presentation of Harry Sosebee Road / Lee Castleberry Road Roundabout Right-of-Way Acquisition;
- A request for funding and contract with EagleView Imagery;
- Presentation of the several year-end Board appointments.
Fetch Your News is a hyper local news outlet that covers Dawson, Lumpkin, White, Fannin, Gilmer, Pickens, Union, Towns and Murray counties as well as Cherokee County in N.C. FYN attracts 300,000+ page views per month, 3.5 million impressions per month and approximately 15,000 viewers per week on FYNTV.com and up to 60,000 Facebook page reach. If you would like to follow up-to-date local events in any of those counties, please visit us at FetchYourNews.com