DAWSONVILLE, Ga. – Dawson County School Board members are expected to vote on several key action items during their March meeting Tuesday, including legislative positions that must be adopted prior to the Georgia School Boards Association meeting in April. The meeting will begin at 6 p.m. in the Board of Education Building, 28 Main Street.
Legislative proposals the Board will consider include:
- An examination of the impact of the five-mil share on local school system funding;
- Support for a Constitutional amendment to allow local legislation to include maintenance and operations as an allowable use of the Education Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax;
- Consideration to offer three high school diploma options: college prep, CTAE and special education;
- Urging the state to review of the number of assessments required and to limit the number of assessments essential to monitor student learning and inform instruction.
Legislative proposals must be adopted by the Board at an official meeting before the Georgia School Boards Association meeting in April.
District internet use has increased significantly with the 1:1 rollout. The Board will consider two requests for proposals (RFP) that met the criteria for increased availability. Board members will vote on an evaluation team recommendation to approve Georgia Communications Cooperative (NGN) at a cost of $4,100.
A number of teams and organizations will receive special recognition for achievements, including:
- Students selected for the All-State Chorus;
- RES Perennial Math;
- DCMS Robotics Team Recognition;
- DCHS Boys Basketball Recognition;
- DCHS Girls Basketball Recognition;
- DCHS Wrestling Recognition;
- Positive Behavior Intervention and Support School Awards for FY18;
- Maintenance and Custodial RecognitionSupporting Docs/Links attaced to this item;
- School Board Appreciation
Dawson County High School Art Teacher Jennifer Gray will share how she is using iPads to create innovative, dynamic and engaging art lessons for students.
Dawson County School Superintendent Dr. Damon Gibbs will then present his report before the Board adjourns to go into executive session.
Fetch Your News is a hyper local news outlet that covers Dawson, Lumpkin, White, Fannin, Gilmer, Pickens, Union, Towns and Murray counties as well as Cherokee County in N.C. FYN attracts 300,000+ page views per month, 3.5 million impressions per month and approximately 15,000 viewers per week on FYNTV.com and up to 60,000 Facebook page reach. If you would like to follow up-to-date local events in any of those counties, please visit us at FetchYourNews.com