DAWSONVILLE, Ga. – Dawson County Public Works Director David McKee will ask commissioners for $44,000 to complete the intersection improvements at Hwy. 53/Lumpkin Campground Road when the Board of Commissioners meets in a work session at 4 p.m. Thursday (Feb. 14).
Commissioners approved $56,000 for Vertical Earth to complete the curb work and an amount not to exceed $100,000 for the entire project. Vertical Earth has completed its portion of the project. McKee is now asking for the balance of the $100,000 approved amount to complete additional road work such as stripping, erosion control, hauling, milling, drainage pipe, etc.
Last July, commissioners approved retention of Blasingame, Burch, Garrard & Ashley (BBGA) to represent the County as a plaintiff in multi-district opioid litigation. However, that firm was never formally retained and no contract for legal services was ever approved. The multi-state litigation currently involves claims from hundreds of states, counties, and cities nationwide, all consolidated in a federal court in Ohio.
Interim county attorneys Jarrard & Davis have prepared a contract on behalf of the county that calls for BBGA to receive 30% of any recovery, plus reimbursement of costs. There should be no cost to the county from this litigation – if there is no recovery, or if the recovery is valuable but not monetary in nature, the county will not be required to pay any money. In addition, BBGA will indemnify and hold harmless the county against any award of fees or costs to the defendants in the case
In other business, commissioners will consider:
- Recission of its denial of the alcohol license application from Blackrock Food Service LLC d/b/a/ Crave Hot Dogs & BBQ and Consideration of Issuance of Alcohol License (Retail Consumption on Premises of Beer and Wine);
- A Presentation of FY 2019 Public Defender Intergovernmental Agreement Between Dawson and Hall Counties;
- A presentation of FY 2019 State Public Defender Contract;
- A presentation of an on-call electrical service award (rebid);
- A presentation of 2019 Charity Boot Drives;
- A presentation of staff response to a citizen’s reported concerns;
- A presentation of new proposed recycling agreement with Advanced Disposal;
- Discussion of Parks & Recreation Programs;
- Discussion of Impact Fees on Commercial Businesses.
Fetch Your News is a hyper local news outlet that covers Dawson, Lumpkin, White, Fannin, Gilmer, Pickens, Union, Towns and Murray counties as well as Cherokee County in N.C. FYN attracts 300,000+ page views per month, 3.5 million impressions per month and approximately 15,000 viewers per week on FYNTV.com and up to 60,000 Facebook page reach. If you would like to follow up-to-date local events in any of those counties, please visit us at FetchYourNews.com