DAWSONVILLE, Ga. – A variance request that has attracted strong opposition from residents of the upscale, lakeside community of Chestatee is at the top of the Dawson County Board of Commissioners agenda when it meets Thursday (June 21) at 6 p.m.
Brian Ferris, on behalf of Chestatee Development Corporation, has made a request to amend the subdivision’s Master Plan to allow lot widths of 70 feet. Currently, lot widths of 100 feet are required. The variance would create higher density and allow the builder to add 11 new homes. The Planning Commission voted 4-1 to recommend denial.
Tony Passarello, a member of the Dawson County Civic Association and a resident of Chestatee, expressed his opposition in an email. “The higher-density lots would result in a reduction of property value, be dramatically different in character than the Master Plan called for and undermine the future development of other sections of Chestatee.”
Citizens will have an opportunity to be heard during the public comment period before the variance is voted on.
Chris Hollifield, of the certified public accounting firm of Rushton Company, presented the county’s 2017 audit report last week. Hollifield said county government assets exceeded its liabilities by $86.8 million and the fund balance grew by $8.2 million.” Commissioners will consider accepting the report Thursday.
Commissioners will also vote on a request by Dawson County Emergency Services Deputy Chief Danny Speaks to apply for a Georgia Trauma Commission Grant used to reimburse 911 agencies for the purchase of trauma related equipment used to equip 911 ambulances.
Other items the Board will consider include:
- A request by Fleet Maintenance Director Shannon Harben to dispose of four heating and air conditioning units at the Detention Center;
- Approval of a list of county-owned items to be placed into the 2018 GovDeals.com Surplus Sale;
- Approval of a design/build contract to be awarded to Charles Black Construction in the amount of $2,644,127 for the Fleet Maintenance/Public Works Complex;
- Approval of a special event business license for Carol Stream Amusement Inc. to operate a carnival in the front parking lot of North Georgia Premium Outlet Mall from June 28 through July 15 between the hours of 7 p.m. and 11 p.m.;
- A site plan for John Megel Chevrolet to construct a used car lot on its property;
- Approval of a proposed 2018 Land Use District Map;
- Appointment of Joey Bearden to the Department of Family and Children Services.
Fetch Your News is a hyper local news outlet that covers Dawson, Lumpkin, White, Fannin, Gilmer, Pickens, Union, Towns and Murray counties as well as Cherokee County in N.C. FYN attracts 300,000+ page views per month, 3.5 million impressions per month and approximately 15,000 viewers per week on FYNTV.com and up to 60,000 Facebook page reach. If you would like to follow up-to-date local events in any of those counties, please visit us at FetchYourNews.com